Vail Resorts Disclaimer: This guide will be updated as information continues to change. Please use the included contact information to ensure information is accurate before using the resources outlined in this resource guide.

Table of contents:


In the case of a medical emergency, please call 911.

Given the high volume of COVID-19 cases, please utilize one of the resources below if you or your loved one has questions about COVID-19 symptoms but is not experiencing a medical emergency. In the case that you have health insurance, please reach out to your primary care provider and your insurance company for more information. If you do not have health insurance or a primary care provider, there are several online telehealth companies that can see patients for a fee.  


Ohio Department of Health & Human Services 
If you have questions about how to protect yourself and prepare for COVID-19 in your community, the Ohio Department of Health (OHD) can provide answers.
COVID Call Center: 1-833-4-ASK-ODH (1-833-427-5634)
The Call Center is staffed from 9 a.m to 8 p.m each day, including weekends.
COVID-19 Website: 


Geauga County Public Health has instructed all Geauga County residents to call their healthcare provider to discuss any previous travel or possible COVID-19 symptoms prior to visiting a clinic location or a hospital. The resources below provide more information about COVID-19 in Geauga County, as well as local care. Please contact Geauga County Public Health if you are unsure of the best option for you.  


(440) 285-5665
(800) 285-5665
Provides support, information, and referrals for people with emergencies. Services include assistance with child and elder abuse, mental health emergencies, domestic violence, homelessness, and emergency food. Services are available 24 hours a day.

Ravenwood Mental Health Center
(888) 285-5665 Toll-free 24-hour CopeLine
Main Location -
12557 Ravenwood Drive 8
Chardon, OH 44024
(440) 285-3568
Middlefield -
16030 E. High Street
Middlefield, OH 44062
(440) 632-5355
Comprehensive outpatient mental health services including assessment, counseling (ages 4-1/2 and older), child//adult psychiatric services, case management, youth/adult partial hospitalization programs, substance abuse, and sexual victim/offender treatment. An adult residential living program is available to the severely mentally ill.


CHOICES for Victims of Domestic Violence
24-hour Domestic Violence Crisis & Information Line, temporary shelter, counseling and support groups, legal and community advocacy, education and training programs.

12041 Ravenna Road
Chardon, OH 44024
(440) 286-7154 – phone
(888) 285-5665 – Copeline
Provides domestic violence victims with physically safe, temporary shelter. Also provides emotional support, crisis counseling, information and referral, advocacy and prevention services for domestic violence, as well as information and referral for teenagers and adults in abusive dating relationships. These services are provided 24 hours, 7 day a week, via Copeline at (888) 285-5665.


Ohio WIC – Women Infant and Children
WIC is the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children. WIC helps income eligible pregnant and breastfeeding women, women who recently had a baby, infants, and children up to five years of age who are at health risk due to inadequate nutrition.

SNAP – Food Assistance
SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance program) helps eligible low-income Ohioans stretch their food budgets and buy healthy food.

CPC Food Pantry in Chesterland
12419 Chillicothe Rd.
Chesterland, OH – 44026
(440) 729-1688
Provides up to a 7 day supply of groceries (canned and dry foods) packed according to family size. Toiletries and cleaning products may be provided. Must reside in Geauga County.

Geauga Hunger Task Force
209 Center Street
Chardon, OH 44024
2-1-1 in Geauga County
(440) 285-3194 Service/Intake
(888) 285-5665 After Hours
Non-profit program administered by Geauga United Way made up of church and community volunteers to supply emergency food to Geauga County residents. To find a pantry in your area call 2-1-1 from your home phone or (440) 285-3194. Times and areas differ from day to day.



Geauga Metropolitan Housing Authority (GMHA)
385 Center Street
Chardon, OH 44024
(440) 286-7413 – phone
Provides rental assistance for low to moderate income families under Section 8 housing. The housing developments are in Chardon Village, Bainbridge Township, Newbury Township and Middlefield Township.


Geauga County has approximately 3 centers approved for Pandemic Child Care
A complete list can be found here


These high-speed internet providers have signed on to the “Keep Americans Connected” pledge through the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). These providers commit to not terminating service to any residential or small business customer for failure to pay during the pandemic. They are also waiving late fees for these customers and opening their Wi-Fi hotspots around the state to anyone who needs them.

  • Arcadia
  • AT&T
  • Cable One
  • CenturyLink
  • Charter
  • Cincinnati Bell
  • Continental
  • Comcast
  • Consolidated Communications
  • Cox Communications
  • Frontier
  • Little Miami
  • Mediacom
  • Oakwood
  • Ohio Rural Broadband Association
  • Ohio Telecom Association
  • Sprint
  • T-Mobile
  • TracFone Wireless
  • US Cellular
  • Van Lue
  • Verizon
  • Windstream


Geauga County Transit
12555 Merritt Road
Chardon, Oh 44024
(888) 287-7190 – phone
(440) 279-2150 – phone
(440) 279-2157 – phone
Geauga Transit schedules rides as needed based on a request from the general public. Unlike large urban systems that have fixed routes with scheduled time points, Geauga Transit provides a system that reflects the rural character of Geauga County. When needed we are there for the user, from their pickup location to their destination



The most important thing to know about unemployment right now is that, as a result of recent federal legislation, you are most likely covered for unemployment insurance regardless of your previous type of employment (seasonal, part-time, etc.). If you have lost your job for COVID-19 related reasons it is recommended that you apply for unemployment benefits. Eligibility requirements now include:

  • You have been diagnosed with COVID-19 or have symptoms of it and are seeking diagnosis;
  • A member of their household has been diagnosed with COVID-19;
  • You are providing care for someone diagnosed with COVID-19;
  • You are providing care for a child or other household member who can’t attend school or work because it is closed due to COVID-19;
  • You are quarantined or have been advised by a health care provider to self-quarantine;
  • You were scheduled to start employment and do not have a job or cannot reach your place of employment as a result of a COVID-19 outbreak;
  • You have become the breadwinner for a household because the head of household has died as a direct result of COVID-19;
  • You had to quit your job as a direct result of COVID-19;
  • Your place of employment is closed as a direct result of COVID-19

In most cases, your unemployment benefits will include:

  • The normal state payment (calculations vary by state) of unemployment benefit in your state
  • 13 extra weeks of unemployment for a total of 39 weeks


State of Ohio

States are responsible for administering unemployment benefits and are working to incorporate the new federal requirements into their systems. All are recommending that you apply online for the fastest and most efficient processing. While most states have local workforce centers around the state to provide assistance with unemployment insurance, most, if not all, of these have been closed in response to the COVID-19 crisis. However, most states have increased the resources and FAQs available on their websites. See below for a direct link to the application websites and COVID-19 resources in Ohio.

The Department of Job and Family Services administers unemployment benefits in Ohio.

File a claim:

COVID-19 FAQ and step-by-step guide to application:

Be prepared to provide the following information when you file a new application:

  • Your Social Security number and driver’s license (or state ID) number.
  • The Social Security numbers and dates of birth of any dependents, to include children and your spouse.
  • The name, address, telephone number and dates of employment for your most recent employer.
  • Bank routing and account number or debit card number for payment.
  • Alien Registration Number and expiration date of your work authorization.
  • If you had out-of-state employment, have worked for the federal government, or are separated from military service, more information is required, including:
    • Form DD-214, member 4 copy (for military service)
    • SF-8 or SF-50 form (for federal government employment)